General Description: Outside Fiber Splicer and field technician responsible for supporting residential and commercial installations as well as projects with transmission fiber splicing and emergency transmission fiber restoration.
- Perform proper splicing and testing on GPON and mainline/transmission fiber.
- Properly follow splice documentation and document fiber changes.
- Properly open and close fiber cases to avoid damages, water or corrosion issues.
- Professionally verify proper light levels and loss at residential or commercial locations.
- Professionally respond to service calls to perform problem identification and problem resolution for fiber-related issues.
- Identify, document, and escalate recurring problems that indicate plant or system related issues.
- Maintain proper location and schedule status communication to dispatch throughout the work day.
- Complete weekly time and sales sheets timely and accurately.
- Complete all customer related paperwork timely and accurately.
- Follow all company policies, procedures, and guidelines when completing work in the field.
- Availability for emergency restoration after hours when needed.
- After hours scheduling for maintenance window fiber work.
- Participate in additional field related projects and tasks as assigned.
- Participate in locating and other OSP functions as needed.
Skills and Attributes:
- Presentable to customers and able to represent the company in public.
- General knowledge of wiring, power, and telecommunication services, equipment, installation tools and safety.
- Properly use field equipment including DSAM, ODTR’s, fiber splicers and others.
- Ability to properly interpret and follow fiber splicing documentation and correlate to realities in field cases.
- Ability to work independently and timely with good judgment.
- Basic computer skills for troubleshooting and verifying connections.
- Able to work outside and drive a company vehicle.
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance. Ability to work overtime as needed.
- High School Graduate.
- Clean criminal and driving record.
- 5 years working with wiring installations including fiber.
- Able to troubleshoot and correct OSP HFC and twisted pair and fiber.